Drugs Addiction DECIDE Model

DECIDE to Protect Yourself from Addiction
8TH Grade Health

Name: Krishu    Block: A      Teacher: Mr. Cuthbert



D
Define Addiction Consequences

Identify negative consequences of addictive behaviours you want to avoid. Explain why?

Some negative consequences are that it could lead you to make decisions that you are not aware of, and many times you are not aware of the dangers you face. This could lead to injuries or sometimes death in the case of drug addiction or alcohol addiction.


E
Explore Possible Options

List 3 possible choices you could make to limit or prevent your exposure to these consequences.

  1. Everything you take should be in small, limited doses. 
  2.  Try not to get addicted; only do things in a proper environment and not too dangerous.
  3. Don’t get peer pressured.


C
Consider Possible Outcomes


Provide 2 positive and 2 negative outcomes of the choices listed above.

Positive:
  1. I will be able to be in control of my decisions. 
  1. I will be able to maintain a healthy lifestyle. 

Negative
  1.  I might not be able to control not getting addicted.
  2.  Sometimes it is very hard not to get peer pressured, and we often end up doing the things anyways.


I
Identify your Values


What do you value about your health? About your future? Why is your reputation important to you?

I value my fitness and social health the most. I love being around my friends and having fun. I also really like to play sports. If I decided to get addicted to anything, it might come in the way of these two things, and it could ruin my relationships with people or decrease my physical ability.


D
Decide and Act in agreement with your Values

Provide an overview of how you could carry out a plan to have healthy lifestyle in high school and college..

Alternatives to risky behavior:
  • Hang out with a “positive” group of friends.
  • Don’t try risky items like drugs.
  • Do everything in a small and moderated amount.
  • Do things in a safe environment ( a friend’s house or somewhere you could get help if something goes wrong).

Different ways to deal with stress and entertain yourself -
  • Read a book
  • Play music
  • Exercise
  • Play games

Ways to say no respectfully and forcefully  –
  • No thank you
  • I’m good
  • I really would not like to try this.
  • Please stop asking me to try this. It is against my values.

How to avoid high pressure situations –
  • Leave
  • Say no


E
Evaluate Your
Plan

Identify a realistic goal that you would hope to achieve to prepare you for high school/ college pressures.

I will not try alcohol or consume any form of drugs while I am in high school and college. I will tell my friends that it is against what I believe and will just say “NO”. If they continue to force me I will just leave. I will try to be friends with people who push me forward in life instead of holding me back by using alcohol or drugs.

How will you know if your plan is successful and that you have protected yourself?

If I have not taken any drugs or alcohol and I continue to do well in school and not get peer pressured, I will know that my plan has worked.

Comments