The Process:
We first started off by coming up with ideas for our shoe drawing. We took some of the cameras in the classroom and went around school taking photos of our shoes. These were my ideas of possible pictures to draw:


The picture I chose to draw was this one:

The second step was to make the photo smaller and put a grid on it. This is what it looked like:

The third step was to take a large paper, with the same grid lines, and draw the shoe with the same proportions on that paper. This was the rough draft for the shoe. This is what that looked like:

The fourth step was to practice shading with different pencils on a scale. This is what that looked like:

The fifth step was to take the rough draft to the light table with a page from our sketchbook and trace it. I didn't take a picture of that, but it basically looked like the rough draft without the grid. The final step was to take the page we traced the shoe onto, and then shade it according to the picture we took. This was the final drawing. This is what mine looked like:

Reflection Questions:
1. If I could do this assignment again, I would improve:
I would improve my ideas if I could do this assignment again. A few of my ideas were too hard to draw and were really just cool photos of shoes. An example is the one where I'm sitting on a ledge with my shoes sticking out. I also wanted to improve the quality of my pictures, because a few came out blurry, and an example of that is the fourth picture, with a birds-eye view of my shoes while I'm sitting and wearing them.
2. Why is contrast important in pencil drawings?
Contrast is important in pencil drawings because, in pencil drawings, you don't have any color. You have to simply use the same pencil or 2-3 pencils to draw what you want to. You don't have any blues or reds or yellows to clearly show what each part is. You only have gray (graphite). So, you have to clearly show the values by shading darker and lighter in parts of the item you are drawing. In pencil drawings, contrast is the lights and darks on the object, and to draw the object, knowing values are important. So, you have to be mindful where you put pressure and how you show the shoe.
3. What did you learn from this drawing unit?
From this drawing unit, I learned how to use a grid to draw an object with correct proportions and how to shade an object using a pencil and adding value to certain parts of the object.
We first started off by coming up with ideas for our shoe drawing. We took some of the cameras in the classroom and went around school taking photos of our shoes. These were my ideas of possible pictures to draw:


The picture I chose to draw was this one:

The second step was to make the photo smaller and put a grid on it. This is what it looked like:

The third step was to take a large paper, with the same grid lines, and draw the shoe with the same proportions on that paper. This was the rough draft for the shoe. This is what that looked like:

The fourth step was to practice shading with different pencils on a scale. This is what that looked like:

The fifth step was to take the rough draft to the light table with a page from our sketchbook and trace it. I didn't take a picture of that, but it basically looked like the rough draft without the grid. The final step was to take the page we traced the shoe onto, and then shade it according to the picture we took. This was the final drawing. This is what mine looked like:

Reflection Questions:
1. If I could do this assignment again, I would improve:
I would improve my ideas if I could do this assignment again. A few of my ideas were too hard to draw and were really just cool photos of shoes. An example is the one where I'm sitting on a ledge with my shoes sticking out. I also wanted to improve the quality of my pictures, because a few came out blurry, and an example of that is the fourth picture, with a birds-eye view of my shoes while I'm sitting and wearing them.
2. Why is contrast important in pencil drawings?
Contrast is important in pencil drawings because, in pencil drawings, you don't have any color. You have to simply use the same pencil or 2-3 pencils to draw what you want to. You don't have any blues or reds or yellows to clearly show what each part is. You only have gray (graphite). So, you have to clearly show the values by shading darker and lighter in parts of the item you are drawing. In pencil drawings, contrast is the lights and darks on the object, and to draw the object, knowing values are important. So, you have to be mindful where you put pressure and how you show the shoe.
3. What did you learn from this drawing unit?
From this drawing unit, I learned how to use a grid to draw an object with correct proportions and how to shade an object using a pencil and adding value to certain parts of the object.
Comments
Post a Comment