Ellis Island Reflection

1. How do you think people felt upon their arrival at Ellis Island?
   I think that when people arrived at Ellis Island, they felt accomplished and happy, because the reason they moved to America was to have an opportunity of a new life, or to get a better job, and when they reached there, they probably felt happy, as they had pursued their dream. However, if they were to get deported, they probably felt really bad, because they had spent all this money and effort just to find out that they are going to be sent back. Also, if they were to get separated from their families, they probably felt like the world was falling apart, because I know I would feel that way, because my family are the closest people to my heart.

2. What do you think the immigration hall screening was like?
     I think the immigration hall screening was scary. You were going to through series of tests to see if you were allowed to become a citizen of America, and you wouldn't know where you were going until you got till the "stairs of separation". This was a place in which you found out your fate on what will be happening with your life. You would either get deported, go to the hospital if you have a disease, and becoming a US citizen. If you were deported or going to the hospital, you would probably feel horrible, because your dream of becoming a US citizen was gone. This was also a place in which sometimes you were separated from your family, and this could also cause grief for a person. This is the reason I think that it is a scary place. Your fate is basically decided by what immigration officers think of you. 

3. How did you feel when you arrived at the classroom and learned about your fate?
     When I arrived at the classroom and learned about my fate, I felt quite happy, because I was to become a US citizen. This meant that I was a free person and would be able to seek opportunity in a new place (and eat some cupcakes). This also meant that I wouldn't get deported back to my home country, which I originally left for a better life in America.

Comments